I made this recipe the other night and it was so yummy! I have never made spaghetti squash before but I saw one at the grocery store the other day and couldn’t resist picking it up to try. I decided to make some Pad Thai with it since I had made Pad Thai before but I used spirilized butternut squash and zucchini. I wanted to try it with the spaghetti squash to see how it compared and let me tell you… it was so delicious! I could have just eaten the spaghetti squash on its own!
I make this Paleo Pad Thai every once in a while and it’s probably one of my husband’s favorite dishes I make. He could probably eat his weight in it. For those who have not had Pad Thai before, it’s usually a slightly sweet peanut sauce over rice noodles with egg and veggies in it. I know I can never make it as good as any Thai restaurant can but I have set out to find a good Pad Thai recipe that complies with the Paleo diet.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil (separated)
- 1 lb. Chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2-3 large bell peppers (your color choice)
- 1-2 large carrots, julienned
- Red cabbage, chopped
- Sliced/crushed almonds
- Lime slices for garnish
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp red curry paste (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce (or soy sauce or Tamari if gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Cut your spaghetti squash down the middle and scrape out all seeds. Drizzle the inside with 2 Tbsp of olive oil covering the entire squash. Sprinkle with salt then place the squash pieces, cut side down on a baking sheet and cook for 60 minutes. Let it cool for 10 min before shredding squash when done.
- While squash is cooking, combine ground ginger, red pepper flakes and 1 tsp of salt and pepper in a bowl and coat both sides of the chicken. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken thoroughly, approx. 5-6 minutes on each side depending upon size of chicken. Set chicken aside once done cooking and add carrots and peppers to pan and sauté for 3 minutes until cooked through.
- Once chicken and vegetables are cooked, whisk all sauce ingredients together in a bowl then add to the skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to allow sauce to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Combine spaghetti squash, chicken and veggie mixture, sauce, and red cabbage in a bowl together. Add red cabbage, cilantro, almond slices and lime wedges on top for garnish.
- Savor and enjoy!
Until next time!