I have realized recently how big my sweet tooth is! I love sweets! Ask my husband… when I was pregnant with my daughter, I’m pretty sure I had to have a piece of pie, cake or cookie every night. I think my hubby gained about 15 lbs in sympathy weight while I was pregnant… oops! I’ve been super into baking/cooking/creating lately and I saw some overripe bananas on my counter today and knew I wanted to make something. I figured I’d make some muffins but remembered how much I love a banana chocolate chip muffin… well guess who had vegan, healthy chocolate chips in her pantry? Yep… me! Score!
Below is my amazingly delicious banana chocolate chip muffin recipe. This recipe can made Whole30 compliant if you don’t use the vanilla extract but as I’ve written in other posts, muffins in general are not Whole30 compliant because we need to train our brains not to have a muffin anyways.
*Note: these muffins don’t have preservatives in them so you will need to refrigerate them once made! Enjoy!
Paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)
- 2-3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups blanched fine almond flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup of paleo chocolate chips (omit for Whole30)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Line muffin tin with cupcake paper wrappers or spray with non-stick spray. Use coconut oil for Whole30 compliance
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to not overheat your coconut oil so it does not cook the eggs
- Pour mixture evenly into the lined muffin tins
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the middle of the muffins and come out clean.
- Let cool before serving and store in refrigerator to grab for a quick snack.